Thursday, June 6, 2013

My Favorite Sacramentals


Sacred Signs
I wear three sacramental medals in addition to my Brown Scapular. The Catechism of the Catholic Church reminds us that sacramentals are instituted by the Church.
These are sacred signs which bear a resemblance to the sacraments. They signify effects, particularly of a spiritual nature, which are obtained through the intercession of the Church. By them men are disposed to receive the chief effect of the sacraments, and various occasions in life are rendered holy (CCC, 1667).

Three Medals – Holy Men of God
The three medals I wear on a simple leather cord include a papal medal of Pope John Paul II, a St. Josemaria Escriva medal and  St. Joseph the Worker. Each of these medals has particular significance to me and play a part in my morning prayers.

Pope John Paul II
The JP2 medal is a papal medal obtained in Rome and blessed by Pope John Paul II. The medal was given to me by one of my CRHP Brothers while we were going through formation. These last two years that I have been working no my IPT studies, I have often asked for Blessed John Paul II's intercession when I have been reading or writing on the documents of Vatican II.

St. Josemaria
This medal commemorates the canonization of St. Josemaria and to my knowledge is no longer available. I got mine years ago when I first began spiritual direction with a priest of Opus Dei. If you have read Joe Catholic for any length of time you know I have a great devotion to this saint of the ordinary. I ask him daily to pray for me to answer God's call to holiness in the ordinary circumstances of my life.

St. Joseph the Worker
This small medal is a reminder of this just and righteous man who protected and provided for the Christ child and Blessed Mother Mary. I turn to him daily to be my model and intercessor that I might be a better husband and father.

Not Good Luck Charms
These medals are not to be treated like some lucky coin or rabbit's foot; they are not good luck charms. In and of themselves, the sacramental objects possess no power. The significance of these items is drawn from the blessing, prayer and how they are utilized to draw us closer to God. Sacramentals should be used as daily reminders to live a life of virtue - answering the call to universal holiness, even in our own ordinary lives. I hope I have demonstrated this in how I use my medals in daily prayer. These sacramentals should draw us deeper into prayer and a life more reflective of Christ and His saints.

What are your favorite sacramentals? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment