Friday, June 14, 2013

The Role of the God-Parents

Miracle of Life
I was originally going to write a post about the Superman-Christ comparison that is floating around the blogosphere. I have tabled that idea for a few days. Not because I haven't seen the new movie, but because I have a new Godson. His name is Leighton Owen Romo. He was born at 10:05 A.M. yesterday morning and I got to hold him for the first time today.
There is nothing like holding a newborn baby to appreciate the miracle of life.

No More Debate
One of the reasons I decided to quit coaching debate was all the time it took away from family. I especially want to spend time with my Godchildren: Isabelle, Luke, Alexcia and now Leighton. I want them to grow up knowing that Stacey and I are there for them if they ever need us. In particular, I want them to grow up knowing we pray for them daily and that we take seriously the  role of being Godparents. According to the Catholic Education Center, a "godparent should be a trustworthy witness of the faith who will help the godchild attain salvation." The bottom line is our job is to help their parents get them to heaven. And since we don't have any grandchildren yet, we can spoil them a little bit too.

No comments:

Post a Comment