Sunday, June 23, 2013

God Uses Us Even in the Strangest of Settings


Editors Note: Ok, before you leave and think I have lost my mind, please let me explain that the picture is indeed relevant to today's guest post from my wife, Stacey. She is a convert to Catholicism and joined me this year in participating in the Blogathon. In honor of her birthday today, I am posting her God moment from a few weeks ago that I think displays that we always have opportunities to be witnesess of faith; we just have to be ready for the moment. This was previously published on her blog. Happy Birthday Mo! 
*******************************************************
God uses us.

Ten Minute Wait
I placed my order and knew it would be a 10 minute wait, so I ordered a beer. Bottled beer because I knew I could drink it in within 10 minutes. Out of lack of better options, Michelob Ultra was my selection.

Nice and Smooth
Waiting for my food I drank. Suddenly behind me I hear “Ultra, that’s a great beer isn’t it? Nice and smooth.” I turned to see a woman around my age talking to me. I tried to give short answers and kept turning back to my almost empty bottle but she kept talking.

Death of a Daughter
Finally, I turned and we had a conversation. She was about to complete her final graduate classes at Texas Women's University in – Family Services. She wasn’t sure what she would use the degree for, but she had already put the knowledge to use. The day before marked the 2-year anniversary of her daughter’s passing. She talked about how her daughter has been misdiagnosed with HPV – when her Uterine artery ruptured they discovered it was actually cervical cancer. They were able to stop the massive bleeding and she lived for 7 more weeks. She had strokes and her kidneys shut down. 7 weeks of this woman watching her beautiful and amazing daughter suffer until she finally passed away.

Working for Christ
She mentioned that had this been a year earlier, she would not have been able to get through a conversation about it. I asked if this was her only child, she said no. She has a 17 year old about to graduate from Flower Mound and is going to spend her summer working at the Fellowship Church in Grapevine’s camp. She is a musician and artist and loves working for Christ. I told her about my amazing daughter, Tiffany, and her work with Campus Crusade for Christ. I told her to have her daughter check out CRU and the opportunities they have for discipleship in other countries and here in America.

A Hug and Goodbye
My number is called, my order is ready. I don’t want to leave – I want to sit down and have a beer with this woman and learn more about her. But since neither of us had ordered just for ourselves, I knew that wouldn’t be possible. I wanted to hug her, but she asked me if she could hug me. My response, “of course!” I feel terrible that I cannot remember her name, but I will never forget her face. My angel who reminded me of how much I love my children and how proud I am of all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment