Sunday, May 27, 2012

Pentecost & the Role of the Holy Spirit

Pentecost, El Greco
Today we celebrate the Feast of Pentecost, in which Holy Spirit was poured out over the Church. Today also marks the birth of the Church. Sometimes I think the Holy Spirit is the most misunderstood and often forgotten person of the Holy Trinity.

The Catechism (688) gives a great summary of how we encounter (whether we know it or not) the Holy Spirit:
The Church, a communion living in the faith of the apostles which she transmits, is the place where we know the Holy Spirit:
- in the Scriptures he inspired;
- in the Tradition, to which the Church Fathers are always timely witnesses;
- in the Church's Magisterium, which he assists;
- in the sacramental liturgy, through its words and symbols, in which the Holy Spirit puts us into communion with Christ;
- in prayer, wherein he intercedes for us;
- in the charisms and ministries by which the Church is built up;
- in the signs of apostolic and missionary life;
- in the witness of saints through whom he manifests his holiness and continues the work of salvation.
We need to get in the habit of praying to the Holy Spirit because he is the one that sanctifies us. As we learn to trust him and ask for his help, we will be drawn closer to him. In this way we grow in our love for God and neighbor.

Prayer to the Holy Spirit by Josemaria Escriva (1934):

Come, O Holy Spirit!
Enlighten my mind to know your commands;
strengthen my heart against the snares of the enemy;
inflame my will…
I have heard your voice, and I don’t want to harden myself and resist, saying “Later…, tomorrow.”
Nunc coepi! Now I begin! In case there is no tomorrow for me.

O Spirit of truth and wisdom, Spirit of understanding and counsel, Spirit of joy and peace! I want whatever you want. I want because you want, I want however you want, I want whenever you want.


Here are a few videos to help with understanding the Third Person of the Holy Trinity better.

Father Robert Barron speaks about the Holy Spirit:
Jimmy Akin answers What is the Holy Spirit?
Jimmy Akin answers Who is the Holy Spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment