Saturday, May 26, 2012

Advice for Graduating High School Seniors and Their Parents

2012 Townview Graduation 
This morning I attended and read the names at the JBS Law Magnet 2012 graduation. This time of year is always a joyful one as parents, friends and family congratulate the students on successfully completing high school. One of the frequent themes during "Senior Week" leading up to graduation is that this is not the end, but merely the beginning of the next chapter in their lives. Some of us get an opportunity to impart some advice.

I will share my generic advice and include some Catholic advice I am not allowed to publicly share at school.

The 15 Hour Rule
Most college and universities require that undergraduate students register for 12 hours of course work to be classified as full-time students. Additionally, this has implications for financial aid as most scholarships and grants require that the student maintain a full-time status. I recommend to all my students that they take at least 15 hours so they build in wiggle room, in case they get into a bind in a class. I share my story about only taking 13 hours my first semester at SMU. I had a visiting professor for my Economics class who I could not understand. I sought help from my advisor and learned I couldn't drop the class because of my scholarship. As it turned out, I still failed the class and I was placed on academic probation for a year and nearly lost my scholarship. It's not worth the stress. Take the 15 hours.

8AM Classes
Many students will need to make some adjustments to their study and organizational habits. If possible, I recommend that first college students NOT take any 8AM classes. Interestingly, when students get to college, sleep outweighs most other needs, including eating.

Test Banks
Many professors file their old tests with a department Help Study Desk. Some of this may even be available online now. Professors tend to use information (sometimes repackaged) from old tests on current ones.

Short-Term Loans
It is often not advertised on university websites, but most schools provide short-term (normally 30 days), no interest loans, to help cover the expenses of books or fill gaps when all of your aid does not arrive in time. There were a few times I needed to do this while I was at SMU and it made it possible for me to purchase books while aid was coming in.

Free Meals
Whenever an adult invites you out to a meal or over to their house that is an opportunity for a free meal. Take advantage of that. I often invite my former students to visit me and I will take them out for lunch. This is also a form of bribery to make sure they come back and visit during Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Breaks.

Get Plugged In
I believe one of the important aspects of college life is the social life. There is value in making new friends in school and fraternal organizations. Some of these friendships will last a lifetime. Practically speaking, involvement in organizations can open doors to other opportunities and even some financial aid.

Get Plugged In Spiritually
Find out where and when Mass is celebrated on or nearby campus. You can use the Mass Times app to find out. Many major universities now have two major organizations to help Catholic students. The first is FOCUS, Fellowship of Catholic University Students. It's kind of a Campus Crusade, for Catholics that ministers to all types of campus with teams of speakers. The founder of the organization is Ralph Martin and I have had the opportunity to hear him speak. He is top notch.

The other is group is the Cardinal Newman Society which is exclusively on Catholic university campuses. They too strive to promote the New Evangelization. Additionally, their aim is to restore the authenticity of Catholic higher education.


No comments:

Post a Comment