Saturday, August 20, 2011

Who are the Knights of Columbus?

For years my perception of the Knights of Columbus was skewed. When I thought of the Knights, I thought of guys getting together in the KC Hall to drink beer, play billiards, cards or dominoes. Occasionally, they would host a fish fry or spaghetti dinner. Oh yeah, they also wore Captain Crunch hats. This is the totality of the view I formed as a teen Columbian Squire. It stayed with me for nearly twenty-five years.

Shortly after our parish completed construction of our new building, a group of men formed a new Knights of Columbus chapter. Those who joined at the very beginning had an opportunity to join as Charter Members. I knew many of these men and I respected them, but I could not get passed my old perceptions, so I did not join.

Months went by and I watched as this band of brothers began to form a bond. They were visibly involved in our parish community as agents of charity. An older parishioner needed a wheel chair ramp; they built it. Someone needed a hospital bed; they bought it. The list goes on.

Eventually, because of the efforts of the chapter's first Grand Knight, and the work they were doing, I joined. I have since seen this group continue to serve the parish and our local community with true acts of charity. They aren't just a group of free "handymen." They also lead several blood drives, support pro-life causes and support several seminarians. I have come to learn that the Knights live their motto: "in service to one, in service to all." I believe this goes to the heart of Pope Benedict XVI's encyclical, Deus Caritas Est.  It reminds me of the hymn that says, "they will know we are Christians by our love." See also John 13:35.

Archbishop Timothy Dolan recently wrote a much better tribute to the Knights than I could ever write.  Here is the link to his post:

The Gospel in the Digital Age: Alleluia! My Brother Knights

You should also consider reading Parish Priest: Father McGivney and American Catholicism, written about the life of Venerable Father Michael McGivney. The book is not only a biography on his life, but it is a wonderful history of the Knights of Columbus.

1 comment:

  1. John O’Gorman
    30 Myrtle Avenue, Winthrop, MA 02152, USA
    P/F: 617 846 2983
    LifeJohn@aol.com
    20/Aug/2011

    An Open Letter to Archbishop Timothy Dolan of New York re K of C


    Dear Archbishop Dolan,

    Your blog of August 18, 2011, informs us that the Knights of Columbus and their wives enjoyed a “grand time” at the Supreme Convention in Denver, (“Alleluia! My brother knights” from http://blog.archny.org/ ).

    You write: “how very much I admire and appreciate the efforts of this sterling fraternal organization”. Could this be the same Knights of Columbus who brought Gay Marriage to your own state of New York (33-29) by the crucial votes of K of C State Sens. Joe Addabbo & David Carlucci on June 24, 2011? Could this be the same Order whose members - at least 16 K of C State Reps and Senators - voted on June 14, 2007 to defeat the efforts of 170,000 voter signatories to place one man/one woman marriage on the ballot in Massachusetts in 2008?

    You add: “I found ‘Faith and Fraternalism’, the scholarly history of the Knights of Columbus by Christopher Kaufman...to be illuminating reading”. You should read the updated version of 1992. On page 451, Kaufman writes that Supreme Knight Virgil Dechant and the K of C Supreme Board of Directors “refused to capitulate” to Pro-Life Catholics who criticized the Order for not expelling “pro-choice” politicians.

    Later you write that the K of C: “put their money where their mouth is”. In protecting unborn children, we see much mouth but little money. Of the record $154 million to charity in 2010, the K of C gave only $3 million to Pro-Life - a mere 2%!

    It seems the facts have not been brought to your attention. It is imperative that you, as President of the USCCB and Archbishop of New York, address the double-standard and hypocrisy in the Knights of Columbus without delay. The lives of unborn children are calling out for your action. I look forward to your reply. God bless you.

    Yours in Pro-Life,


    John O’Gorman

    ReplyDelete