Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Tuesday Tech Talk: Olive Tree NAB

I discovered the Olive Tree bible software years ago when I used a Palm Pilot. Today Olive Tree has one of the most extensive collections of bible translations in multiple platforms, including Android, Blackberry and iPhone/iPod.

Olive Tree provides more than an e-reader bible. The software contains advanced search choices as well as the ability to make notes and bookmark placement. Additionally, the software has a copy feature which allows you to copy a verse and email it.  I have found this helpful in my personal meditation or when preparing a talk.

The setup is user friendly. Tapping the face of the device will open a "verse" tab which takes you to the table of contents. All of the books of the bible are listed in order and are organized by Old and New Testament. Each of the books is linked to a list of its chapters. Clicking on a particular chapter will take you to a list of verses. You can either click "go" which takes you to the beginning of a verse or you can choose your particular verse.

At nearly $20 this application is on the pricey side, but I think it's worth it. As of today, I could only find one other NAB Catholic bible (the current translation used for the readings) available. The other application produced by Just1Word was just released today and it is new NABRE translation. I hope to take a look at that application later. I would like to see Olive Tree add a daily meditation feature or one that automatically gives you the daily readings.

No comments:

Post a Comment