Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tuesday Tech Talk: Calibre

Today's Tuesday Tech Talk continues the discussion about e-books. If you have recently purchased or been given an iPad, Kindle, Nook or other e-reader, you may be wanting to download some of your Catholic reading onto them. If you will recall, last week I reviewed some of the Catholic publishers who have entered the digital age by providing some of their publications in e-book format. Before you go drop a lot of money on new books, make sure to read this post first.

You'd be surprised at the number of classic Catholic works that are available for FREE (and legal) on the Internet because they are in the public domain. This includes famous titles like Introduction to the Devout Life and Imitation of Christ. One problem I encountered early on was dealing with the multiple e-book formats and finding a copy compatible with my reader.

While trying to figure this out, I stumbled upon free software that converts most e-book formats into the format of your choice. It's called Calibre. Rather than going through the steps, I am providing a video tutorial below. You cannot convert DRM protected copies of books, but you can convert those that are open for sharing like the ones provided in the links below. One thing I like to use Calibre for is creating my own e-books. For example, if I find an article online that I want to read later, I can convert it into a PDF file and then use Calibre to convert it to an epub to read on my iPad.

Here are some ebook links:

The Thin Veil: Building a Catholic ebook Library on the Cheap

Free Catholic eBooks

E-Books for SQPN

Calibre video tutorial:


No comments:

Post a Comment