Saturday, August 27, 2011

St. Monica: Patron of Mothers

Today we celebrate the feast day of St. Monica the patron of mothers. St. Monica was married to a pagan and had a son whose lifestyle would have competed with Charlie Sheen's today. Nevertheless, St. Monica prayed daily for the conversion of her husband and son. Eventually both converted to Catholicism. Her son, St. Augustine just happened to turn out to be one of the great saints of the Church.

For all those who suffer because a loved one has left the Church, ask St. Monica for her help and intercession. I know my mother invoked her intercession while I was lost in the dessert of self absorption. My mother prayed for nearly twenty years for my return to the Church.

I am sure other mothers (and fathers) have similar stories to share.

St. Monica pray for us and those we love, especially those searching for the truth. May they find the truth in He who is Truth.  Amen.




To learn more about St. Monica visit:



No comments:

Post a Comment