Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tuesday Tech Talk:
Reading While You Drive

The intent of Tuesday Tech Talk has been two-fold: 1) review new technology that can be leveraged to enhance your spiritual life and 2) to discuss the way we perceive and use technology in our daily lives and the impact that has on us spiritually.

I have a confession to make: I read while I drive. I listen to audiobooks. So my sister-in-law insists that's not reading, but I contend it harkens back to the days of oral tradition.  Anyway,  I consistently have a forty minute to one hour commute to work each day. Years ago I figured out to keep my sanity, lower my blood pressure and reduce the likelihood of road rage, I should listen to books on tape. I started listening to novels in a cassette player with headphones while I drove. Later, I would upgrade to CD's I checked out from the library. Eventually, I found these methods limiting because of the lack of titles. About eight years ago, I signed up for Audible.

Audible is digital audiobook service. For a monthly fee of $22.95 you can download to audiobooks a month. Audible has a decent collection of Catholic books. They have Pope Benedict's Jesus series as well as most of Scott Hahn's books. They have several Catholic classics and works written by saints. They even have an audio version of the USCCB Catechism for Adults.

Audible often runs an offer to new members in which they can receive a free trial book.

No comments:

Post a Comment