Sunday, April 8, 2012

Re-Birthday: Celebrating Our Baptismal Day

Last night our family attended the Easter Vigil and we saw a number of men, women and children entered fully into the Church. Many were baptized. Our parish has a Baptismal font that is large enough for adults to kneel within it and be covered in the pouring waters. There is no way they can forget that moment!

It goes without saying that Baptism is a big deal and it should be treated as such. A few years ago I read an article on Catholic Culture that talked about the practice of celebrating Baptismal days like birthdays because they are our re-birth days. We now celebrate the anniversary of our re-birthdays. I recommend you do the same with your family. Treat your family member to their favorite meal, make them a cake and reflect on the readings from that day. I assure you it will enrich your lives. In preparing for a talk I was going to give to RCIA a few years ago, I discovered I was baptized on the Feast of the Epiphany. Now that feast day has a more personal meaning to me.

Take some time out in the next few days to discover the date of your Baptism and mark it on your calendar.  Happy Easter!

1 comment:

  1. Participating in this important event as an alter server, Morgan Anderson was standing next to Father when Rita (I think) received the sacrament and Morgan said the love and honor showing in her eyes, is something she will always remember.

    ReplyDelete