Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas Isn't Over!

Urban Nativity, Anne C. Brink
Taking Down the Decorations
Contrary to what you might be seeing out there Christmas is not over. Stacey and I were coming home (while it was snowing!) from my mother's house early Christmas evening and we had to stop at the local Walgreens. While I was standing in the check out line – I'll remind you it was Christmas night – the store clerks were on ladders removing the Christmas decorations from the ceiling above the register. When I said something to the cashier, his response was: "they've been up for two months." My response: "maybe that's part of the problem." Then yesterday, we were at our local WalMart and they too were taking down their decorations. It seems it's time to get ready for the New Year and Valentine's Day.

Christmastide
Well, I for one think we need to remind our friends and family that Christmas is not over until the Feast of the Epiphany. Liturgically, the Church calls this season Christmastide which extends from midnight of Christmas Eve to the Feast of the Epiphany, traditionally held on January 6th. This is why we celebrate the Twelve Days of Christmas.

Candlemas
As for me and my house, we will celebrate the Christmas season until its traditional conclusion on the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord,  or Candlemas on February 2nd.

12 Days of Christmas
Enjoy this funny rendition of the 12 Days of Christmas by Straight No Chaser

No comments:

Post a Comment