Friday, December 14, 2012

Advent Entertainment

In my initial Advent post, I suggested that we should wisely choose the type of entertainment we consume during this season. I for one think that we can actually find good sources in ordinary places. What I mean is that we don't need to only entertain ourselves with  Christian specific entertainment. Other forms of entertainment can and are worthy of viewing.

One of our traditions during the Advent/Christmas Seasons is to watch the classic film, It's a Wonderful Life. I personally like the movie because I think it demonstrates the true meaning of evangelization, for it demonstrates the impact one person can have on the life of others. The film also subtly expresses the individual dignity of each and everyone of us.

Another Advent constant for us has been to attend a production of A Christmas Carol play based on the Charles Dickens work by the same name. This year we attended a production from the Dallas Theater Center. This play is so striking because it addresses multiple themes: the real meaning of Christmas, social justice and redemption. The end of the play, like the end of It's a Wonderful Life, always pull at my heart.

Can you think of some shows, movies or TV specials that help get you in the right spirit of reflecting on the coming of Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment