Thursday, February 2, 2012

Presentation of the Lord

A Light to the Gentiles, Greg Olsen
Today is the feast of the Presentation of the Lord. Before I write about the feast day, I would like to say a few words about the Greg Olsen's piece, A Light to the Gentiles and why I selected it for this post. I first encountered this picture on the cover of Not Your Average Joe, by Rick Sarkisian, PH. D. (Looking back, I have to think that reading this book may have helped inspire the naming of the Joe Catholic apostolate.) I like the way Olsen portrays Joseph standing behind Mary with his hand on her shoulder. I think this is consistent with Joseph's treatment in the gospels. First, it reveals him as the quiet protector. Secondly, it shows he was a "righteous man," following the dictates of the Mosaic law. This is depicted with his carrying of the two turtle doves. Finally, it demonstrates his intimate love for our Lord, for he was the man closest to Christ.

Reflection #1: Adhering to the Law
Last night I was pondering the difficulty of always trying to stay true to the Church's teachings, both directly and indirectly. In the past two days, both Amazon and Starbucks have made public statements supporting a "gay marriage" bill in Washington state. I don't want to spend too much time getting into that debate. Others have done a good job with that already: CatholicVote and Defend Us in Battle. I had just asked myself if I should stop buying Starbucks and using Amazon when I read this in my morning reflections:
"Through this example, foolish child, won't you learn to fulfill the holy Law of God, regardless of personal sacrifice? "Purification! You and I certainly do need purification. Atonement and, more than atonement, Love. Love as a searing iron to cauterize our soul's uncleanness, and as a fire to kindle with divine flames the wretchedness of our hearts" (St. Josemaria Escriva, "Holy Rosary", Fourth Joyful Mystery).
I'm not sure how much of a sacrifice it would really be since I can still buy my coffee through Mystic Monk Coffee and order most of my books through Aquinas and More. I'm not advocating a boycott or anything like that. I am just thinking about how I choose to spend my money. Just a thought.

Reflection #2: Learning to be Humble
The presentation of Jesus in the Temple is another example of Christ's humility. He, who was perfect god and perfect man, had no need for the old laws, but still permitted himself to experience this. In allowing himself to experience all that we have, but sin, he shows us the path to sanctifying our daily lives. We should also think of this when we don't understand or agree with a teaching of the Church.
"Our Lord Jesus Christ as a child, that is, as one clothed in the fragility of human nature, had to grow and become stronger but as the eternal Word of God He had no need to become stronger or to grow. Hence He is rightly described as full of wisdom and grace" (St. Bede, "In Lucae Evangelium Expositio, in loc.").
Reflection #3: Making a Bucket List
The priest on today's USCCB video reflection on the readings made an interesting observation. He said that Simeon was waiting his whole life to meet the Messiah. It was on his "bucket list." The priest concluded his reflection by asking what spiritual acts do we have on our "bucket list?"

No comments:

Post a Comment