Saturday, July 9, 2011

Oops! I Forgot about God: Practicing the Presence of God

Copyright All rights reserved by mj kidd
I will never forsake you or abandon you. (Hebrews 13:5
We've got to be convinced that God is always near us. We live as though he were far away, in the heavens high above, and we forget that he is also continually by our side. (The Way, #267)
Scripture and the writings of saints are filled with references to God’s promise to not forsake us. He may not leave us, but all too often I leave Him. I am not talking about the times I sin, but by getting caught up in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, forgetting God. This can happen in both good times and bad, but for me it’s more likely to occur when things are going well.

One of the most difficult challenges I have encountered since returning to the Catholic Church, is staying in the presence of God. When I first read St. Paul’s challenge to “pray without ceasing” (1 Thessalonians 5:17), I felt that was unrealistic for those of us who are not cloistered monks. I failed to understand the real meaning of that passage.

I have since learned that we are not necessarily called to fall on our knees and recite formal prayers, but we are called to make our lives prayerful. Furthermore, I believe we need to incorporate reminders in our days so we can see God is with us. This may mean praying aspirations at certain times of the day. It may mean placing a small paper clip cross on your desk, perhaps near your mouse, to serve as a reminder of the cross Christ died upon for our sins.

You can have fun with this practice. Don’t be afraid to let yourself find God in the little things. I was once driving to work and eating my breakfast on the go. As I ate my three strips of center cut bacon, I literally called out in the car, only a loving and caring God could make something taste so good.

The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence has long been considered a great resource on this subject.


No comments:

Post a Comment