Friday, September 21, 2012

Bishop Vann Named New Orange Diocese Bishop

Bishop Kevin Vann as we prepared
for our audience with Pope Benedict XVI.
Today, Pope Benedict XVI appointed Bishop Kevin Vann the next bishop of the Orange Diocese in California. Bishop has served as the bishop of the Fort Worth Diocese for the past seven years. While I was not surprised to hear he was leaving (many of us thought he might be appointed to Denver earlier in the year), I am saddened. Bishop Vann has been a great shepherd for our diocese.

I had the opportunity to first meet Bishop Vann personally a few years ago when Stacey and I joined nearly 500 pilgrims to Rome in celebration of the 40th Anniversary of the Fort Worth Diocese. One of the evenings after dinner, a few of us guys were gathered in the hotel lobbying talking when Bishop Vann returned from a visit with some of his former classmates in the city. He sat down and talked to us until midnight, answering all sorts of questions about the faith. As we were all preparing to leave, he asked if we wanted to gather again the next evening. We had all planned to smoke cigars on the balcony so I asked him if he would join us. He did and again we were up until nearly midnight discussing all things Catholic. As a result of those two sessions, Bishop Vann invited the men of Joe Catholic to join him for Mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral. After that visit, we met for a second time and he even wrote about us on his blog.

I was always impressed at how personable he was. He has a gift for remembering names. The last time I saw him was at the celebration of the mass for the feast of St. Josemaria. I was actually leaving out the side door and he called out my name to come talk to him. I had seen him do something similar with another family before the mass. Bishop Vann knew his flock. He will be missed.

Here is his farewell letter and a video of his speech in California.

No comments:

Post a Comment