Wednesday, June 13, 2012

St. Talk: St. Anthony of Padua

St. Anthony statue from St. Roch Catholic Church
Indianapolis, IN
St. Anthony of Padua is one of the most beloved and popular saints in Catholic history. Known as the "hammer of the heretics," St. Anthony is often portrayed holding the infant Jesus. This is attributed to a miracle in which Jesus appeared to St. Anthony as a baby.

St. Anthony was a tremendous speaker and teacher of the faith. So much so, that in 1946 the Church declared him a Doctor of the Church because of his ability to simplify the teachings of faith for ordinary people. Today, he is often invoked as the patron of lost items. He is also patron of a number of other causes, including faith in the Blessed Sacrament.

Prayer to St. Anthony for Lost Things
Tony, Tony,
look around.
Something's lost
and must be found!


Prayer by St. Anthony for Help from the Holy Spirit
O God, send forth your Holy Spirit into my heart that I may perceive, into my mind that I may remember, and into my soul that I may meditate. Inspire me to speak with piety, holiness, tenderness and mercy. Teach, guide and direct my thoughts and senses from beginning to end. May your grace ever help and correct me, and may I be strengthened now with wisdom from on high, for the sake of your infinite mercy. Amen.

Online Resources:
St. Anthony, Catholic Online
St. Anthony, EWTN
St. Anthony, SQPN

Recommended Book(s):
St. Anthony the Wonder Worker of Padua, Charles W. Stoddard

No comments:

Post a Comment