Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Altar Servers: Training Ground for the Priesthood

Two Sense Films
The following video from Two Sense Films aptly depicts why boys serving as altar servers is a gateway to discerning a vocation to the priesthood.

Altar Boy
If you are like me, you served as an altar boy when you were young. I actually served all the way through my high school years. I remember I how much I enjoyed putting on the cassock and the surplice (these are the black and white garments that look like the priest's); it made me feel "priestly." In fact, while I never formally discerned for the priesthood, serving as an altar boy gave me pause to think about the priesthood as a vocation (of course I didn't know at the time that was what I was doing). I remember thinking that serving on the altar was serious stuff. 

Fathers & Sons
I have very strong opinions about the need to get more young men and boys active as altar servers. I believe this is the training ground for future priests. The purpose of this post is not to criticize the relatively recent move to permit girls as altar servers. Instead, I am simply saying that it is an opportunity to give young men a glimpse into the possibility of the priesthood as a vocation. Countless priests have said their vocations began on the altar, serving as altar boys. I believe fathers have a responsibility of encouraging their boys to serve in this capacity. Two things we can focus on : 1) they will be serving God and their community and 2) they will belong to a special team. Boys like belonging to teams.

No comments:

Post a Comment