Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Navarre Bible Commentary:
Online and Offline Options

Daily Word Reflections
Many of you may be familiar with +Mike Harrison's Daily Word reflections from the Navarre Bible. Mike recently sent out a message to all the members of the list:
Many of you will recall that I am fighting throat cancer, and at this point I'm in pretty bad shape from radiation treatment and its quite catastrophic side effects. As a result, this and all my other lists are behind. I'm afraid that posting will be spotty or may cease entirely if I have to be hospitalized.
Prayers
First, it goes without saying that we need to pray for Mike. He asked that we please not "offer to "help" getting the postings done; the logistics of that would be far more of a nightmare than I can handle right now." I recommend we ask St. Blaise, patron saint of throat ailments, for his intercession in asking our Lord for Mike's healing.

Group Archive
For those of you who would like to continue to incorporate the reflections as part of your daily prayer life, I have three recommendations. First, you can go to the Daily Word Google Group and run a search for the reading for that day. For example, Sunday I used "sixteenth Sunday in ordinary" as my search. Sometimes you might need to search using the actual scripture passage to find them. As far as I can tell all of the readings (3 year cycle) are archived on the group page.

In Conversation with God
The other option is to purchase Fernandez's In Conversation with God, available in 7 volumes. Fernandez uses most of the commentary in the Navarre and more. You can buy the individual volumes at a Catholic book store to save buying the whole set. I don't recommend the ebook version because the books are broken up into two parts each and makes it even more expensive.

Navarre Bible
The final option is to buy the Navarre Bible New Testament; it costs about $80, but it is a great investment. The Old Testament is sold in individual volumes and can be expensive. Right now there is no online version other than the Daily Word archive. You can run a Google search and preview much of it on Google Books too.

UPDATE: Since I wrote this post in July, I began including the daily Gospel commentary on this site. Additionally, I have learned that Verbum Bible software, has a reasonably priced version of the New Testament commentary as one of their ala carte packages. They also carry the entire commentary (Old and New Testaments), but that price is similar to the cost of purchasing the full set in book form.

No comments:

Post a Comment