Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Feedly - the Heir to Google Reader

Google recently announced that it would shut down Google Reader effective July 1st. When I learned this last week, I wondered how I was going to keep track of all of my RSS feeds, especially all of the Catholic blogs I follow. Like others, I have relied on GR to help me skim, scan and sort my news feeds. (If you need a refresher on what I am talking about, review my tutorial post on RSS readers.)

The search for an adequate replacement app was quickly over. Many tech bloggers are calling the Feedly the heir to Google Reader,. According to TechCrunch, The Verge and CNET it is one of the closest apps to the reader. 3 million new subscribers in the last week can attest to that. According to TechCrunch, Feedly "became the No. 1 news app across all three top mobile platforms (iPhone, iPad and Android) this week." In response to all these new subscriptions, Feedly released a major upgrade to their app this morning. 

I like that it can be integrated to Chrome and automatically syncs and updates across devices. For a more detailed review of Feedly and their recent upgrades, I recommend Sarah Perez' article on TechCrunch.

Freedly is currently available in iOS and Android platforms and can be downloaded at the Apple iTunes Store and Google's Play. The app is currently FREE.

No comments:

Post a Comment