Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Food & Faith:
Grace Before Meals

One of the things I have learned in my work with the men of Joe Catholic is that many of them like to cook. In fact, some of them are the primary cooks in their homes. I happened to be listening to Teresa Tomeo's radio show this morning and heard her interviewing Father Leo Patalinghug who hosts a show on EWTN called Savoring Our Faith and a website called Grace Before Meals.

Father Leo describes the mission of this "movement" of meals as follows:
Grace Before Meals is a movement to bring families back to the dinner table- away from work, school, TV, games, and the many other things we get caught up in- to share a delicious meal together, communicate and love one another and be nourished- body, mind, and soul. How? With easy lessons, tasty recipes and reasons to come together and share in the love that only a family or friend can provide.
This inspired me last night. Stacey had to work and I had the day off so I volunteered to cook dinner. Stacey had placed some tilapia in the fridge to defrost. I wasn't in the mood to grill up the fillets. Instead, I made some fish tacos. Stacey joined me in the kitchen, chopping up the lettuce and avocado wedges. We had a good time working together and talking. Fr. Leo's recipes and videos would be a great resource to think of some ideas for cooking together with your wife or your entire family.

Here's an example of one of his recipes in action:

No comments:

Post a Comment