Monday, October 31, 2011

Game 6: An Apt Analogy

It's taken a few days for the sting to wear off a bit, but I am ready to talk about the World Series.  I was hoping to be writing a post about celebration and teamwork, instead I find myself reflecting on Game 6.  I made a presentation to the RCIA group yesterday and it hit me as I was beginning that Game 6 is a apt analogy for our spiritual walk or should I say race.

The race we are in is not for a pennant, but for the beatific vision - the Face of God.  St. Paul says in Hebrews (Heb 12:1) that we should "persevere to run the race that is before us."  That is exactly what the Cardinals did; they didn't give up. Even down to their last strike (twice!).  We need to take that same attitude into our spiritual lives, never giving up. We need not giving into despair (like Judas - see the scene in the Passions of the Chris).

On the flip side, we should never become so comfortable as to think we have finished the race, that we have closed the game.  We need to persevere in our pursuit of holiness, up to the very last strike, our last breath.


No comments:

Post a Comment