Saturday, March 5, 2011

La Capilla San Jose

Here are images for the chapel David Jennings mentioned in Joe Catholic this morning. There is the full sketch of the chapel David made this week for submission for a permit and a poster he did back in 2007 announcing the project. It shows the building site and the cross that he made that will go on top of the front wall as shown in the sketch. David made the cross for the chapel on new year's day 2005. 

The pictures below are of the doors that he traveled to New Mexico between Christmas and New Years to pick up in Santa Fe and transport north to Abiquiú. These will be the double doors used for the entrance as shown in the sketch. The design is a very traditional New Mexican adobe church except that this one will have a vault running lengthwise which should make the interior more spacious feeling and very dramatic. David asks for all the men, especially us Joe Catholics, to pray for the project and those working on it, that it will remain a Holy and safe project for all those involved. 
The chapel will be dedicated to St. Joseph in memory of  David's mother, Isabel. It would be nice if the Joe Catholic group made a pilgrimage there someday and also to stop by the historic church at Chimayo.  Perhaps the group can plan the pilgrimage around the scheduled dedication of the chapel.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Don for posting this for me! I look forward to one day traveling to La Capilla San José for a pilgrimage with all of my Catholic friends and family.. Sincerely, David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, the story on the Cross that I made is that it was a promise to Our Lady of Guadelupe that I made at the Basilica in Mexico City during the Christmas holiday there during an illness that I had. I promised that when I returned to Dallas, I would make the cross. I made it using hand tools on New Year's Day 2005 and finished just as the sun was going down.

    ReplyDelete