Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Stephen Covey:
The Mormon Who Led Me Back to Catholicism

I was saddened two days ago to hear about the death of Stephen Covey, author of the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Years ago when I was starting out in my career in financial services, I read the 7 Habits for the first time. Reading Covey's books led me to become a student of leadership and self-improvement. One of the primary themes of his teachings was character development founded on values and principles.

Sometime after that first reading, I would read First Things First in which Covey outlined the concept that in order to lead a balanced life one must plan "to live, to love, to learn and to leave a legacy." I didn't know it at the time, but that simple mantra sparked the realization in me that something was missing. It may have been the moment that I first felt like St. Augustine: "Lord, my heart is restless until it rests in you" (St. Augustine, Confessions).

As I was writing this post, I remembered that I was first introduced to Covey by the chiropractor that was working on my neck after I had been involved in a car accident. He showed me his Franklin-Covey planner, recommended the 7 Habits and offered me a copy of the Book of Mormon. Although, I wasn't attending Mass or actively practicing my faith as a Catholic, I said, "no thanks, I am Catholic."  I did take him up on the 7 Habits and on the planning system. I never perfected the planning system, but reading Covey's books did open my mind (and my heart) to the notion that there was more to life than pursuit of the dollar. His writing planted the seeds of contemplation and introspection. Ultimately, I would realize that the values and principles I needed to base my life upon were always present in the Catholic Church.

Here's a video, in which Covey outlined some of his primary teachings. While Covey will be missed, he certainly has left behind a legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment